i’ve been trying to explain this sketch to people for years
there is literally no way to explain this sketch it’s just a thing you have to see and even then I’m not sure why it’s so funny
Omg I haven’t seen this in ages
GODDAMN IT TUMBLR, CAN YOU AT LEAST GIVE US THEIR NAMES?!?!?
- Ching Shih was a prominent pirate in middle Qing China, who terrorized the China Sea in the early 19th century. She commanded over 300 junks manned by 20,000 to 40,000 pirates another estimate has Cheng’s fleet at 1800 and crew at about 80,000— men, women, and even children. She challenged the empires of the time, such as the British, Portuguese and the Qing dynasty. Undefeated, she would become one of China and Asia’s strongest pirates, and one of world history’s most powerful pirates. She was also one of the few pirate captains to retire from piracy.
- Nancy Wake (one of the few white women on this list; of course you put her name on the graphic…)
- Lyudmila Pavlichenko
- Rukhsana Kausar
- The Gulabi gang (gulabi is Hindi for “pink”) was founded by Sampat Pal Devi, a mother of five and former government health worker (as well as a former child bride), as a response to widespread domestic abuse and other violence against women.Gulabis visit abusive husbands and threaten to beat them with laathis (sticks) unless they stop abusing their wives. Al Jazeera reports there are 400,000 members across Northern India.
- Neejra Bhanot was just 22 when terrorists from the Abu Nidal Organization hijacked Pan Am Flight 73, where she was the senior flight purser. After 17 hours (and yes, hiding American passports to protect those passengers), when the hijackers opened fire and set off explosives, Bhanot opened the emergency door and helped a number of passengers escape. She could have been the first to jump out when she opened the door but she decided not and was shot while shielding three children from a hail of bullets. Bhanot was recognized internationally as “the heroine of the hijack” and is the youngest recipient of the Ashok Chakra Award, India’s most prestigious gallantry award for bravery during peace time.
- Zainab Bibi, 42, allegedly told authorities she killed her husband Ahmad Abbas because he tried to sexually assault her 17-year-old daughter from another marriage.
- In September 2006, Susan Kuhnhausen found an intruder in her southeast Portland, OR home. “I saw a man step out of the shadows and he began to hit me in the head and the face with a hammer,” said Kuhnhausen. “I got the hammer and started hitting him with the hammer several times. My father, the carpenter, always taught me a hammer could be used for self defense — the claw end would work the best,” said Kuhnhausen. Kuhnhausen’s husband, Michael, had hired Ed Haffey to kill his wife.
- Seriously, fuck this one. The photo is of Parinya Chareonphol or Nong Thoom who is a kathoey, which many Thai believe to be a third gender (as opposed to the Western idea of ‘transgender’.) After a short time as a Buddhist monk, she took up Muy Thai kickboxing to support her parents and make enough money to pay for her sex-reassignment surgery, and basically kicked ass at it for several years. She was not “constantly made fun of before fights;” the Muy Thai community embraced her and her presence greatly revitalized both media and public interest in the sport, as shown by increased ticket sales and stadium revenue. The movie Beautiful Boxer was made about her, and she has recently acted in Mercury Man as well as continuing to kickbox. So yeah, fuck this one hard.
- Juliane Diller née Koepcke was the only survivor of the LANSA Flight 508 crash in 1971. Despite sustaining a broken collar bone, a deep gash to her right arm, a concussion and an eye injury in the fall, she was able to trek through the dense Amazon jungle for 10 days, until she was rescued by local lumbermen, who subsequently took her by canoe back to civilization. It was later discovered that as many as 14 other passengers also survived the initial fall from the disintegrated plane but were unable to seek help and died while awaiting rescue.
Seriously, guys, this took me like 20 minutes using Google and Wikipedia. These women are real people with real names and real stories. Please don’t reduce them to a picture (most of which came from Wikipedia in the first place oh my god i know you were there) and an “uplifting” story.
Look at these kickass women, and remember their names!!
They are so damn raw
I Don’t Understand Young People And They Scare Me: I Just Want To Live In The Past Forever
Stretch marks should be kissed not dissed
Brows are immaculate
lacquerandcandy would it be crazy to want a wig like this…but with hair that can curl…?
Girl no! That would look amazing on you! You could achieve this with some human hair for sure!
casting another terrible actress in another john green adaptation
Margo is what like 17 or 18 and Cara is 22
the casting people should be fired
also, margo is supposed to be plus sized/ fairly curvy and not extremely generic goodlooking like cara
If you claim to be an activist and say “it’s not my job to educate you” then you’re a pretty terrible activist. the point of activism is to advocate for your cause, spread information and try to get people to understand your goals. If you refuse to even help people understand, then you’re a pretty terrible activist and will probably turn people off of your cause.
Not everyone you meet who is marginalized is an activist. Like everyone else, marginalized people would like to live first, and take care of themselves first, because otherwise how else can they do anything?
Even if the person is an activist, activists need downtime, as well, because they’re people. What, an activist is supposed to be on the clock 24 × 7 or else they’re a terrible activist? You can’t tell me that’s right. Activists aren’t there to serve you. Are activists measured by customer satisfaction now?
Is that what your education has become, the consumption of a product, proffered by ever-smiling, ever-patient, ever-understanding subalterns who can tailor the message they’re supposed to give to your comfort, to give you enough space to grow and yet not alienate you?
Or else what? You won’t do anything about it? You’ll continue being complicit? You’ll continue abusing people? You’ll continue being silent? You’ll continue blaming the victim? You’ll continue perpetuating injustice?
You can see how this is problematic?
You can’t? Well, it’s not my job to provide you with the empathy to understand the internal workings of another person. You should have picked up that shit when you were a toddler, and if you didn’t, I don’t know what else I can do for you.
ya hes cute…….but is he conscientious of the social inequalities and corruption in hierarchies of power that plague this world
This scene was perfect
That time James Bond replied to homoerotic taunting not with some macho no homo bullshit, but by calmly implying he was bisexual anyway and somehow did not suddenly cease to be awesome but instead roughly doubled in awesome points.
(Left to Right): Peter Buffett, Jimmie Briggs, Joe Ehrmann, Tony Porter,
Dave Zirin and Moderator Eve Ensler.
What Is Series of posts relating to particular concepts often completely misunderstood and so spoken about by people who know nothing about them.
Very useful in understanding some of the arguments used against trans people, and how it is that they are functionally based in the ignorance, incompetence, and animosity of the people arguing.
Concepts currently explained:
- Violence against trans people
- Identity politics
- Gender Identity
- The problems with Gender abolition
- Sexual Identity
- Key facts about trans people
- What feels like a woman means
The list will expand as additional concepts are outlined.
what real mens activists look like (see more here)
Just so you know, I love all of you.
"All these young girls getting themselves pregnant"
Wow, self impregnating teenage girls, these men should be afraid, we as woman are evolving at alarming rates.
what a deal